The rights of Part-time employees are protected by law, and they should not generally be treated less favourably than comparable full-time employees. This includes; Terms & Conditions of Employment, Pay, Breaks & Annual Leave entitlements. Similar protection is provided to Fixed Term workers.
The legislation applies to any part-time worker including people:
- Working fewer hours than a comparable full-time employee.
- With a contract of employment (written or unwritten)
- Undergoing an apprenticeship programme
- Working as part of a Job-Share initiative
- Employed by and working through the services of an employment agency.
For more information see; the Workplace Relations Commission guide to rights and obligations of part-time workers and their employers (pdf).
If you have a query regarding part-time work or any aspect of employment please contact we are happy to help.